Bovilis® INtranasal RSP Live
BE FIRST, BE FAST
What is it?
Bovilis® INtranasal RSP™️ Live is a live, intranasal vaccine for cattle that protects against two important respiratory viruses, RSV and PI3.
How does it work?
Bovilis INtranasal RSP Live is administered up the animal’s nose (See Fig.1 & Fig. 2). A 2ml dose can be given to healthy calves from as early as one week of age. The animal will have protection against RSV within 5 days and PI3 within 7 days of vaccination. Protection against these common viruses lasts for 12 weeks. Each pack contains two vials, one with a dried powder and the other contains a liquid diluent. Once mixed, the light orange solution is ready to use. The shelf life is six hours from the time of mixing.
Why should I use it?
Bovine respiratory disease (BRD) is the most common cause of death from one month old onwards, including adult cattle. BRD has a huge negative impact on growth and performance of both beef and dairy animals. Therefore, it is vital that animals at risk are protected. Recent figures suggest that only 25% of calves currently receive a vaccine to protect against bugs that cause respiratory disease. That leaves approximately 75% at risk of developing respiratory disease. Bovilis INtranasal RSP Live offers a solution to vets and farmers where there are issues with BRD (caused by RSV & PI3 viruses) in young calves. As it offers fast protection, it is also suitable for purchased cattle and weanlings.
What is Bovine Respiratory Disease (BRD)?
BRD or bovine respiratory disease is an umbrella term used to describe airway or lung disease in cattle. It is the single biggest cause of sickness and death in all ages of cattle greater than a month of age. It accounts for approximately one third of deaths in calves and weanlings.
We know how serious an issue respiratory disease is in young cattle and yet alarmingly only 25% of this susceptible age group are currently vaccinated. Why is this? Numerous reasons…
Vaccination can be viewed as a cost
Disease is also a cost and can potentially be a huge cost! “Sick days” for calves have a life-long effect on their efficiency and productivity. Each sick day for a dairy heifer calf can result in her producing 120kg less milk in her first lactation. A beef animal which is treated for pneumonia can take up to 2 months longer to finish but the rest of the cattle in the group known as the “in contacts” which didn’t require any treatment can take up to a month longer to finish also because of the challenge of disease. There are additional feeding cost associated with having these animals for that extra month or more.
Sub-clinical disease – What you can’t see
So often the sick animals we see and treat for pneumonia are only the tip of the iceberg. So many more animals could be affected with sub-clinical disease, what you can’t see. Sub-clinical pneumonia should always be considered if calves or weanlings are not thriving as expected in the face of good nutrition. Weighing calves, even simply with a weigh tape is a good way to keep an eye on growth rates especially at a young age.
For more information on Bovilis INtranasal RSP Live or any of our other products, speak to your local vet for advice.
Cattle: Milk – 0 hours, meat – 0 days
- 5 Dose packs available
- Contains powder (lyophilisate) + 10 ml of solven
Bovilis® INtranasal RSP Live
Nasal spray, lyophilisate and solvent for suspension for cattle
Bovilis® INtranasal RSP Live Video
- Tackling calf scour – Time to think vaccination – Bovilis Scour VaccineJames highlights how the Bovilis scour vaccine has helped reduce the risk of calf scour occurring on his dairy farm.
- Bovilis Scour Vaccine – The leading calf scour vaccineThe Bovilis Rotavec Corona is a single-shot injectable vaccination, given to pregnant cows to subsequently help protect the calf from diarrhoea caused by Bovilis Rotavec Corona is given pregnant dams to help protect the calf from scour causing pathogens.
- CepraLock: Dry-cow programme pays dividends for farmer – BovilisIt’s that time of year again, where the farmers turn their focus to preparing for the dry-cow period. We recently caught up with Wexford farmer, Patrick We recently caught up with Wexford dairy farmer, Patrick Banville, to learn more about how he is getting on with our new teat sealer CepraLock.
Sign up to Bovilis® product and event information
MSD Animal Health
Red Oak North, South County Business Park, Leopardstown,
Dublin 18, Ireland